Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, August 20, 2010

Preparing for Winter

The weather seems to be changing. It has been so dry here that the trees are starting to lose leaves and the grass isn’t growing as fast as it had been and the heat wave has broken. This is putting me in the preparation mood.

Over the weekend I made onion soup mix and taco seasoning mix, put more tomatoes in the freezer, cleaned out my food cabinets and did some major cleaning.

This weekend will be spent doing some more cleaning, the fridge and freezers need to be cleaned out and organized, and canning a few more tomatoes. We pick a 5 gallon bucket full every time we go out to the garden. There are also peas to pick and freeze. I plan to buy 120 ears of corn and get that in the freezer, also.

It looks as if the elder berries are almost ripe and I plant to make elder syrup for medicinal purposes. It is said to be really effective on colds and sinus problems.

The upstairs bedrooms need to be straightened and I plan to rearrange the office area. We have gained a new book case and file cabinet. The old file cabinet needs to be cleaned out and everything needs to be reorganized.

We are having friends to dinner tonight. There will be barbecued chicken, parmesan potatoes, peas, corn and dump cake for dessert. Yum!

Shopping this week has been really good. This week I got all this for FREE:

40 Sobe drinks

A $23.00 bag of cat food

Hot dogs

Butter

A Netti Pot

2 Purex 3 in 1 (sample size packages)

The list just keeps growing, and the pantry gets fuller.

I am very thankful that God allows me to find these deals and has allowed and continues to allow me to learn how to stretch the items and the money.

Have a great weekend!

Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment