Blog Header

Blog Header

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Whew!

I have been away from the blog for a bit. We took our vacation to Georgia to spend time with the family. Then when we got home it was Fair week. That week is always busy for me at work! Now the garden is keeping me busy. And I am thankful for that. I work during the day then go home and can.  So far I have canned 8 quarts and 24 pints of green beans, 4 quarts of purple hull peas, 7 pints of tomatoes, 6 pints of peaches, 4 pints of peach jam, 7 pints of strawberry jam, 3 pints of cherry jelly. and frozen 1 pint of tomatoes. I made one jar of dill pickles and will be making another jar tonight. And I have dehydrated several large zucchini and a couple heads of cabbage. I picked purple hull peas last night and there wasn't enough to can so I will put those in the freezer tonight. I also picked Zipper Cream peas and since those are our favorite I will be cooking some of those for dinner tonight.

I love being able to use the produce from our garden throughout the year and am so thankful for anything the Lord blesses us with from the garden.

If you aren't familiar with Purple Hull peas, here is what they look like.

Fresh from the garden

In the process of shelling

The results of the labor


They are called Pink-eyed Purple Hulls. In the south we just call them Purple Hulls. They are related to a Black-eyed pea. We usually eat them green instead of drying them like most people are used to getting Black-eyed peas. They are so yummy! And they are easy to grow. The vines will get eaten by insects but they really don't seem to bother the peas. However, the deer love to eat them when they are young.

Have a great day!
Mae

Linking to Homestead Barn Hop
h

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mae! I love me some purple-hull peas! I didn't plant enough though. I did freeze some bags; and I get a few to throw in with the green beans every few days. I love living in the South with all the vegetables we can grow throughout the seasons! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the South and all those wonderful fresh veggies all year. Seems like there was always something you could get fresh. Most people up here don't even know what field peas are and the few that do have never had them. We went to a restaurant that had Black eyed peas as the special that day so I ordered them and you won't believe it, but they had sugar in them. Yuck. Hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  2. We love all sorts of field peas purple-hull and lady fingers being some of our favorites. Yours look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what lady fingers are. Would love to try some. Next time I'm in Georgia I'll have to see if I can find some seeds. Or maybe I can order some. Thanks for posting.

      Delete