Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Work Ethics

We all have a work ethic, the question is, is yours good or not. Wikipedia describes work ethic as: Work ethic is a set of values based on hard work and diligence. It is also a belief in the moral benefit of work and its ability to enhance character.

I really don't know what makes one person have a good work ethic and another not. To me having good work ethic is important. We, as Christians, should work as if we are working for the Lord. Would the Lord have me do my work in a haphazard manner, be disrespectful to my superiors, try to get out of doing work, or not take responsibility for the work I should or could be doing?

I don't know what it takes to gain a good work ethic. I know both of my children have really good ones, so maybe even if I don't know how you get it, I do get some credit for instilling it in my children. I think I have a good work ethic, but don't we all think that of ourselves?

It does seem to me that there is little of it being encouraged anymore. People who don't seem to deserve it, gets the pat on the back. We have a work basket at our office that all of the secretaries work from and sometimes, it's almost comical to see how people avoid it.

It is really hard when you have a good work ethic to work with people who do not. Everyone I know struggles with this. My husband read a quote to his Sunday School class from a book he is reading on work relationships and the quote is "Lord help me love those who sin differently, than I do." That is a remarkable quote. That means that just because I have a good work ethic, I'm no better than they are, just different.

I am even being convicted as I write this blog, because I am at work. All of my work is done, I am totally caught up, and trying to think of work to keep me busy. Where I work it is either feast or famine. For the next couple of days I am in the Famine stage and will have to make up work to do.

All I can do is continue to try to improve my work ethics, and try not to worry about others' work ethics. Maybe I can be successful,

Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment