Blog Header

Blog Header

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Back Into the Groove

Well, I am getting back in the groove at work and at home. It's hard after a vacation to get back to normal. We have zucchini and squash running out of ears since we've been home. I have cooked a lot of them and frozen zucchini for zucchini bread and frozen some cooked squash. I still have a few more to preserve before what's on the plant are ready to pick.

I will make peach jam this weekend with the peaches we bought back from Georgia, and the Blackberries are starting to ripen. I have picked about a quart already. I am going to make blackberry jelly this year. I haven't made it in a couple of years. We don't eat a lot of jelly so I am only going to make one cooking of blackberry jelly, and one of peach jam.

Some reorganization needs to be done in the kitchen and bathroom. I have let my stock pile get pretty low and it's time I start working on it again. In order to do that I need to do some rearranging to have room to store things.

We are going to start work on our back porch soon. We are adding a closet for our bedroom from part of the back porch and the rest will be a small addition to the kitchen. I dread the construction part of it but will be excited when it's all done.

Here is a good recipe to use up some of that zucchini:

Zucchini Cake

4 eggs
2 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
tsp. cinnamon
3 c. grated zucchini
2 c. flour
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. walnuts

Beat eggs. Add oil, sugar and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients. Stir in nuts and zucchini. Use a 9 x 13 inch pan, greased and floured. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

Frosting

1/4 lb. butter

2 c. powdered sugar

1 (8 oz.) cream cheese

1 tsp. vanilla
Melt butter and soften cream cheese. Beat all the ingredients together and spread over cooled cake.

It's almost like eating Caramel Cake. It is delicious and a great way to sneak in some vegetables for someone who doesn't like to eat them any other way.

Enjoy.
Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment