Blog Header

Blog Header

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Wood Heat

This fall we installed a new wood heater. It is one that is outside and all the heat is vented into the house. It is called the Lil House Wood Stove and this is the link to their website http://www.outsidewoodheater.com/id3.html. I was a little skeptical at first. But now I don't know how we got by with out it. It keeps our house warmer than the fuel oil heater ever did. And the wood is a whole lot cheaper. Free vs. $1500 last winter. We do still keep the oil heater as a backup. Even the floor is warmer than it has ever been. And all the mess from the wood is out side.

I know it is a lot more work for Greg, and I do appreciate all the work he's doing to keep me warm. I am a southern girl and I can't take being cold.

It is really helping our budget. I have been working on other budget cuts, also. I guess every one is working on budget cuts. Here are some things I do to help the budget:
Have chickens for eggs
Grow most of our vegetables
Make most of my own cleaners
Make laundry detergent and use it every-other load
Cook most of our meals from scratch
Pack lunches for work
Almost never use paper towels
Recycle soda cans
Use coupons and buy when things are on sale
We ride together to work at least 4 days a week but usually 5 days
Turn off lights we aren't using
Use Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs
Use leftovers
Use as few garbage bags as possible (this is a pet peeve of mine, buying garbage bags just to fill them and send them to the dump)

I am also considering going on the envelope system. I think I will try this out next pay period to see how it works. I used it for Christmas gifts and thought it worked really well.

I would love to hear other ideas on cutting back.

By the way I am feeling much better now that I have had my treatment. I am good to go for another 4 weeks.

I am falling in love with Irish Blessings. Here is one for today.

May God grant you always...A sunbeam to warm you, a moonbeam to charm you, a sheltering Angel so nothing can harm you. Laughter to cheer you. Faithful friends near you. And whenever you pray, Heaven to hear you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment