Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, March 11, 2011

3/11/2011

We are excited that our son Daniel and his wife Larissa and daughter Dixie are coming for a visit. It's been 5 months since we have seen them and can't wait for them to get here.

I know have been posting about deals and coupons a lot lately. I do not intend to turn my blog into a coupon blog, even though I am a big fan of several coupon blogs. But, I can't help but pass on a good deal when I see one. I am here to help my kids save as much money as possible, and that's what my blog is really for, my kids. I haven't stopped being a mother and I never will. It is one of the most precious, enjoyable jobs I've ever had. So if it seems as if I blog about a lot of different topics, I do. It's all about things I want my children and grandchildren to know.

Our farming is kind of at a stand still right now. We got rid of all of our goats. Being away from home for such long hours during the day didn't leave much time to take care of animals. Until we find a way for one of us to stay home or work closer to home we just can't have goats. We are considering raising a couple of pigs and maybe a couple of cows but not until maybe next year.

In general we are rethinking what we are trying to do. We want to raise a lot of our food. So this means more than just meat. We never intended to eat goats so I really don't know why we started out with them. I do like them as pets and I know people all over the world love to eat them...I'm just not one of those people.

We are considering some new garden ideas. We are thinking about turning our current garden into a strawberry patch and starting a new garden a little further back on the property. I also want to plant some rhubarb next to the strawberry patch. We would also like to plant a few more fruit trees this year. If we can get the fruits and vegetables established then moving onto animals will make more sense to us.

We are also looking for some more chickens. Our flock has dwindled a little and we aren't producing as many eggs as before. We are going to buy some that are about 19 weeks old instead of baby chicks. It cost quite a bit of money to raise that chicken for 20 weeks until it starts laying. So we are going to pay a little more for the grown chickens instead of feeding chicks.

I am also looking into raising worms. I will post more about this later.

Have a great weekend!
Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment