Blog Header

Blog Header

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lake Erie


We recently visited Lake Erie. I had never seen any of the Great Lakes and since we live less than 5 hours away I really wanted to go see one. I really didn't know what to expect. Living in Florida for so long and being close to the ocean, I couldn't imagine that there could be so much fresh water in one place. It really does look like an ocean. They waves aren't as big and the shells are a lot smaller but it does have waves and shells (I can't really call them sea shells).

I have to say that I was totally amazed at the beauty and wonder of it.


These pictures are of Marblehead, taken at the Lighthouse. It is very pretty there and the little town of Mablehead is very cute and the people are very friendly.



On the way home we saw this strange looking thing from the road and I thought it looked like the moon had landed. We got off at the exit because it was time for lunch, and discovered that is was the Neil Armstrong Air & Space Museum. It is in Wapakoneta OH. According to the cashier at the Lucky Steer (where we had a really good lunch of all you can eat fried chicken), the locals call it Wapa. It cost $8.00 per adult to get in but it was really cool and interesting. If you are ever headed down I75 and see the moon, I suggest stopping in and taking a look.


On the way up to the Lake we stopped at Lehman's. It is really cool also. It is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and has something for everything. We are in the market for a wood burning cook stove so I thought I'd like to look at theirs. Lehman's, if you don't know, supplies the Amish with non electrical appliances, and anything else you could imagine. Baskets, dishes, laundry supplies, soaps, candles, cook books, hurricane lamps, the list just goes on and on. I did buy a basket, a tart warmer and a candle.

Then we went to the Log Cabin Gun Shop. You'll have to ask Greg about that stop. It did have some cool stuff, but not a lot for my taste.

We had one rule on this little vacation and that was we couldn't eat at any restaurant that we could eat at at home. On the way down we ate Chinese somewhere in Ohio, it was okay. The first night we ate at the Jolly Roger, way over priced and not very friendly. The second night we ate a Marina on Lake Erie and the food again was okay but the atmosphere made up for it. The lunch we had at a little sandwich shop in Marblehead was really good and of course the meal at the Luck Steer was very good. Breakfast was eaten at the hotel.

All in all it was a very fun trip and we had a really good time. I think we will visit Lake Erie again. And I think we will keep the rule of not eating at chain restaurants when we are on vacation (with the exception of Hardee's biscuit when we are near a Hardee's).

Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment