Blog Header

Blog Header

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Being Prepared



I used to think that as a Christian, I should not be too worried about being prepared for a disaster. When Y2K was approaching and everyone was stocking up on food and things I just kept quoting Philippians 4:19 “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” And I still believe that He will. But as of late, I am changing my mind about being prepared. After doing some research I have come to believe that we should prepare for disasters.  Why after all the times in the Bible when God told people to prepare would He not want us to be prepared?

I feel like we are being given plenty of warning to prepare. I know that God is in control of everything. The Bible says in Proverbs 6:6-11 Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer,
And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard? When will you rise from your sleep?  A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to sleep—
So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler, And your need like an armed man.

We live in an area where it would be very realistic to be without electricity for a period of time. The first year we lived here there was an ice storm that had some of our neighbors without power for over a week. We have a different power company and ours was on except for 3 hours. But it could have easily been our power company that was out.  So at the very least we should be prepared for that.

I am slowly buying canned meats, soups, and meals that can easily be heated on our camp stove or open fire.  My husband made deer jerky last night and plans to make more. I am storing up powdered and canned milk. We are going to purchase a few gallons of kerosene for our kerosene heater that we haven’t used in a long time and will get it cleaned and make sure the wick is good. The oil lamps are all going to have the chimney’s cleaned, the wicks trimmed and be filled. I have started trying to put things that may be needed in an emergency where they can easily be found. Like flashlights and extra batteries together, matches near an oil lamp. I am also putting together a much better first aid kit than I’ve ever had and have everything together where it can easily be located.

I have stored up a small amount of water and will be storing more. We also have a pool so I will be buying some sort of purifying system/tabs. We also have 2 cisterns on our farm that we do not use and a pond that I would hate to have to drink out of but if I had to, I would.

Now I am in no way turning into a doomsday-er but I do think our economy is very close to taking a severe hit and we all have heard the “nine meals for chaos” theory.  There is only enough food in most homes and in the grocery stores to last 3 days.  All I am hoping for is to provide for my family in a time of need. And I don’t believe in storing up things you aren’t going to use. I am trying to be very frugal and a good steward of what God has given us so I am setting aside only $20.00 a week to get prepared. I have been at it for 2 weeks and so far I have accumulated quite a bit.
There will be more on my progress later.

Have a great day!
Mae

2 comments:

  1. we have our bug out bags ready! camping supplies ready and I am working on food next... like you I am not going over board but I am going to be prepared. I save all my sample from the mail and put in a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving the samples to put in a bag is an excellent idea and one I had not thought of.

    ReplyDelete