Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, March 6, 2009

The Egg House

We are still working on plans for our egg house/canning kitchen. Tomorrow we will go look at a couple of antique gas stoves. I have always wanted an old gas stove and we have found 2 for sale by the same person. They also have an old sink with the drainboard attached to it. I think it might work well for the egg house, too. The best part about them is they are really cheap. If we could make this happen for a couple of hundred dollars that will be really nice.

We do not intend to put any new appliances or cabinets in it. We are only looking at used things now. We hope to even find a used, gas, hot water heater. The windows need to be replaced and we will probably buy new ones and a new door so that it will be sealed up better than it is. It will be so nice to get all of my canning supplies in one space and not have to wash the eggs in the house.

I have ordered some of my seeds for the garden, but some of them were on back order. I hope they arrive soon. In the next two weeks I will start my seeds in containers so that they will be ready for the garden by May.

We are taking soil samples this weekend. We need to fertilize and lime our hay fields and get the vegetable garden ready. Taking a soil sample will let us know how much fertilizer and lime to put down. It cost too much to put down more than is needed. We may not even put down as much as is recommended, but at least we will know how much is needed.

Our goat herd has dwindled. We sold 10 and 2 died. We are expecting babies in the next couple of weeks and we still have one young buck that is almost ready to be sold.

The chicken flock is doing pretty well. The roosters are crowing like no body's business. We really must decide what to do with them. I will try to spend some time with them this weekend.

I have mixed feelings about the time change. I hate to loose an hour of sleep, but I do look forward to still having daylight when I get home in the evenings. I will be able to spend more time outside and I really need that.

I would like to ask for your prayers regarding my health. I may fill you in on that later. I know that God knows what He has in store for my life and He will give me the grace to make it through. Thanks in advance for your prayers.

Mae

May God grant you always...
A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering angel,
so nothing can harm you.

No comments:

Post a Comment