Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, October 23, 2009

1 Timothy 2: 9-10

These verses seem to be hard for younger women to grasp. They have been raised in the time after Women's Lib. I really don't think the older women have done us any favors and I believe women in general are more unhappy since we have become so "equal." I personally believe that we would all be much happier living as the Lord intended for us to live.

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becoming women professing godliness) with good works

This verse does not mean that we should go around looking drab and unkept. It just means that we should be modest. We are not to dress to make other women jealous or men other than our husbands notice us. It doesn't mean that you can't wear jewelry or have a nice hairdo. We should all look nice, clean and well kept. We just shouldn't have things hanging out that make other women's husbands see things they shouldn't. When I was younger my mother would not let me out of the house if skin was showing anywhere between my neck and my knees. It would drive me crazy. I had this shirt that I loved, but when I sat down my back would show. My back, not my belly button, or cleavage, my back. I couldn't understand this at the time, now I do. Men's eyes are naturally attracted to skin. It makes their minds wonder, and we should not dress in a manner that attracts that kind of attention.

We should also not dress to make other women envious. Gold and pearls do not add anything to my person (I do like gold and pearls and I have some) but, when I wear them, it is not to make others jealous. I know some women who always have to have new jewelry or the latest most expensive clothes they can find, and sometimes it is just to make other women "eat their hearts out." You know, we have all heard it, "So and So will just eat their heart out when I show up in this." Trust me, self respect is much more rewarding than so and so eating their heart out.

When we start dressing to make others envious, it means that we are envious of others and what they have. The "green eyed monster" isn't attractive on any one. It really turns us into the most unattractive people on earth. How can we be beautiful if we are caught up in jealousy?

When you get dressed for the day it is a good idea to look in a full length mirror. Bend over, sit down make any movements that you will be doing while you are out, in front of the mirror. If things are hanging out, maybe it would be better to change clothes. I personally can't stand clothes that I have to fiddle with all the time straightening bra straps, pulling shirts down or up, drives me crazy.
I am not one to wear dresses all the time, I do wear pants and jeans. My point is, no matter what you wear, you should dress decently. Dress in a manner pleasing to God, professing godliness.

Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment