Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What Do You Deserve?

In our struggle to save money, cut back and be frugal I have noticed and enemy lurking about. The feeling of entitlement. I work hard, so I should be able to buy what ever I want, when ever I want it. Where did that feeling come from? We all know where it came from. Marketing. That is what good marketing does. It makes you feel like you deserve what ever you want. I can't begin to number the ads that I see on TV that tell me I deserve the best. I deserve a certain product, because it will make me feel better about myself or at least look better. I have lately even heard people I know saying "I felt like I deserved it, so I went out and bought it." It really took me aback to hear that come out of some one's mouth who by their own mouth admitted they were having money problems.


I work with people who stop at Starbucks 3 or 4 times a week for coffee, go to the dollar store on their lunch hour and spend 20-30 dollars on junk and then complain because they need money before the next pay day. They go get a pedicure during lunch hour (I really like pedicures but one a year is all I allow myself and not always even that one). Managing their money is the furthest thing from their minds until they realize they've spent it all and don't know what they will do until pay day rolls around. These kind of habits cause us to be slaves in a sense. Slaves to money and debtors. Is that what we all deserve, or do we deserve something better? Freedom.


Freedom of knowing that we have a warm home, a loving family, good food on the table, practical clothes on our backs, a dependable car that gets us where we need to go, and enough money in the bank to tide us over if something happens. Freedom from worry, a little peace of mind, some tranquility in our lives, when we don't have to worry about what material things we think we deserve. How about a saviour who loves us and meets all our needs. Could we find more security anywhere? I don't think so. The one thing we deserve the least is the best thing we have and the last thing we turn to fulfill our needs. He offers peace of mind, tranquility, love, comfort, security and best of all it is all already paid for. Jesus paid for us all to have these things, all we have to do is accept his free gift of salvation. What more could we want or need.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30

No comments:

Post a Comment