Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Getting Out of a Rut

Sometimes I feel like I am getting in a rut with my cooking.  It seems like I cook the same few meals over and over.  It feels like we eat chicken, pork, ground beef and then start over, chicken, pork, ground beef.

With a zillion ways to cook chicken & ground beef, it doesn't seem like I should get in a rut. But I do. So to combat the rut, I have decide to try at least 3 new recipes a month.  I will try to start posting my menu for the week and include recipes (especially the new ones).  I haven't determined which day I will be posting the menu but will try to be at least a little consistent.  It is easy for us to get off our schedules and grab a bit on the way home. And we eat out a lot on Friday nights since this is the night I do most of my grocery shopping. Can't shop hungry.  I like to shop on my way home so I don't have to come back into town on the weekends.

Here is my first week of menus:
Tuesday-out with April & Lily
Wednesday: Hamburger Stroganoff & Green beans
Thursday: Slow Cooker Mexican chicken, yellow rice & broccoli
Friday: out
Saturday: Beef, Barley & Vegetable Soup
Sunday: Oven BBQ ribs, Roasted Onion Potatoes & Stewed Cabbage
Monday: Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak, Rice, peas

I will include the recipe for the Beef, Barley & Vegetable soup after I actually make it.  Because I will have to write down what I do as I am making it in order to share the recipe with you.

Here is my recipe for Hamburger Stroganoff:
1.5 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 package egg noodles
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use 98% fat free)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I use 98% fat free)
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Soup can water
2 large dollops of sour cream (I use fat free)

Brown ground beef and onions with salt & pepper.  While browning bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook noodles.  When ground beef is cooked through add the flour and brown for 1 minute. Do not drain the ground beef.  Add the soups and 1 can of water.  Add ketchup & Worcestershire sauce.  Stir and cook over low heat until mixture thickens and is well incorporated.  Drain noodles and return to pot you cooked them in.  Pour hamburger mixture on top, add sour cream. Mix well.

Enjoy!
Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment