Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak and Menu

Last night's dinner was another new recipe (2nd for the month of October) the Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak.  We weren't impressed.  There didn't seem to be very much flavor and the texture of the meat was a little mushy.  Here is the recipe and what I actually did:

2 pounds lean ground beef (I used 1.5 pounds)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk (I used a little less since I wasn't using as much ground beef)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I really didn't measure)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I didn't measure)
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup (I used 1 cream of chicken and 1 cream of mushroom) 
1 (1 ounce) packet dry au jus mix
3/4 cup water
I also added some dried onions to the gravy mix 

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, onion soup mix, bread crumbs, and milk using your hands. Shape into 8 patties (I only had 6 patties).
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the patties in flour just to coat, and quickly brown on both sides in the hot skillet. I browned the patties the night before and put them in the fridge til the next morning.  Place browned patties into the slow cooker stacking alternately like a pyramid. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, au jus mix, and water. Pour over the meat. Cook on the Low setting for 4 or 5 hours, until ground beef is well done.        
I didn't feel as if it was going to have much flavor without some onions so I added the dried onions.  The flavor wasn't bad and if it had been just that I would keep experimenting with this recipe but we just really did not like the texture.

Here is my menu for the next week:

Wednesday: Slow cooker chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans
Thursday: Pork chops, stove top Mac & Cheese, pork & beans
Friday: Out
Saturday: Family birthday party I have to make Corn Casserole and Apple Dumplings
Sunday: Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Monday: Pot roast
Tuesday: Out trick or treating with April & Lily
 
This week doesn't really have any new recipes but this apple dumpling recipe is YUMMMMMMMYYYYYY.
 
Have a great day!
Mae
 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment