Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, October 19, 2012

Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken

As yesterday was Thursday and my menu called for the Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken I tried it out.  So that is one of my new recipes for October.  It was really good, but I didn't exactly follow the recipe.  So here is the recipe with my modifications.

Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
4-6 frozen chicken breasts (I only 3 breast but they were pretty large and enough for the two of us)
Bag of frozen peppers and onions (I had frozen bell peppers from my garden so I chopped up half an onion the night before and threw it in the freezer. So I added them and some of the bell peppers.)
Pkg of taco seasoning (next time I will probably use a packet of the hot Taco Seasoning or my homemade Taco Seasoning.  I felt that it could have used a little more heat.)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat free)
1 can Rotel tomatoes (I used my home canned tomatoes with jalapeno peppers.  Since this was my first year doing them they were a little on the mild side which may have been why the whole dish wasn't quite spicy enough.)
Place frozen chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Top with frozen onions and peppers. Mix cream of chicken soup and Rotel tomatoes together and then pour over the top. Cook on LOW 6-7 hrs. Serve over cooked yellow rice.

I did cook yellow rice and when I put it on my plate I added a little nacho/taco cheese and a little Italian cheese blend.  Then put some of the juice on top of my rice and mixed it up.  It was very good and I will definitely be making this again.  I also made some re-fried beans.  Next time I will serve some warm tortillas with it.

All in all I'd say it was a success and something outside the "rut".  

Have a great weekend!
Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment