Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, October 10, 2008

Going Green

There is a lot of talk these days about going green. And I guess in my own way I have jumped on the band wagon. My thoughts of going green tend to mean something different than just saving the planet. I think going green is more about the green in my wallet, and since most things green are cheaper than their counterparts, I am all for it!

I do believe that God expects us to be good stewards of everything he has given us and the earth is one of those things. We should all do our part to take care of it. Reduce our waste, replenish our land and, recycle as much as we can.

I have reduced the amount of paper I use in my home. My paper towel roller has been empty for 2 weeks now and I don’t know when I will refill it. I still have a roll of paper towels but, I’ll keep them until I just really feel the need to use them. We have gone to cloth napkins, and no paper plates. This saves money because I am not purchasing these things or putting them into garbage bags that cost money. It saves the planet by not filling up the landfills.

I cut down on junk mails by sending letters to the 3 major credit bureaus asking them to remove my name from their mailing lists. This saves money because I am not accepting their offers. It also saves the planet by not sending all that junk mail to the dump.

I am using homemade laundry detergent and hanging my clothes on a line to dry. This saves money because the laundry detergent is cheaper; it cost nothing to hang my clothes on the line. It also saves the planet because of the energy I am not using.

Most kitchen scraps are put into the compost pile which the chickens dispose of. This saves money on chicken feed.

We carpool to work most days, do most of our shopping on our way home, and stay home as much as possible. This has cut our gas bill almost in half.

We don’t eat out as much as we use to. I cook from scratch most days (no over packaging.) We produce a lot of our own vegetables and herbs, and eggs.

So, I guess we are getting greener…conservation wise & financially.

I hope you are finding some greener ways,too!


If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment