Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On the Farm

We have goats that are in season and things are getting wild in the pastures. We have 2 bucks that are of breeding age and the largest one is trying to make sure the younger one leaves his girls alone. I have an idea that Sam, the younger one, is pretty sneaky.

We have one (maybe two) female that was bred a while back. I am sure the rest are bred by now. So in about 5 months we should have kids again. We are still trying to sell some of the younger ones. We really need to thin out the herd before winter.

We have ordered 60 more chickens that should arrive at the end of October. They are all hens and should be laying eggs in about 5 months, also. We are going to try to sell eggs at the local farmers market next summer. We already cannot keep up with all the people that want eggs. I hope the sales at the market are good.

I planted garlic over the weekend. I have been meaning to do this for 3 years and I finally did it! DH tilled up the area for me and the soil was just right for planting. I put the cloves in the ground and covered them with soil and about 4 inches of some very old hay we had in the barn. Hopefully, next year we will have plenty of garlic. I think I planted 22 cloves and that should equal 22 bulbs.

I still have 2 small pumpkins that need to be cooked and put in the freezer but I may wait until right before Thanksgiving for that. I also have a half bushel of apples that need something done with them. That should be the last of my freezing and canning for this year.

I have started stocking up on baking supplies for the holidays. Chocolate chips were on sale really cheap last week at my local store so I stocked up on them. Today spices were on sale at Walgreens for .50 each so I stocked up on cinnamon. I still need to stock up on Plain flour, whole wheat flour, bread flour, sugar and brown sugar. I have plenty of pecans saved from last year. So other than cherries for chocolate covered cherries I’ll be set.

Have a Happy Fall!

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment