Blog Header

Blog Header

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Making a Home

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. Proverbs 31: 28 & 29

Have you ever really listened to the word homemaker? One of the definitions of home is “the place in which one's domestic affections are centered.” You are in charge of making the place where your spouse’s & children’s affections are centered.

I know that most people do not think the title “Homemaker” is very glamorous, but when I read this definition, it is a wonderful title. What greater privilege could be bestowed on women?

We should strive to make our home a warm, kind, loving sanctuary for our children and spouse. It really doesn’t take a lot of money to make your house a home. Love goes a long way. A simple meal prepared out of love is much better than a prime rib dinner at a fancy restaurant with people who could care less about you.

I have always heard that the woman sets the tone of the home, and I know it’s true. This is where the saying, “If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!” comes from. I remember times when my children would be sad or irritable, and if I just changed my attitude, theirs would change.

I knew a minister that had every reason to be unhappy. His wife died after suffering through cancer, they had several pregnancies and lost all of the babies, he had been injured in a war and floated on a life raft for several days before he was found. He shared with me that every day when he awoke he said to himself and to God “I am going to be happy today.” And he was always happy and a real joy to be around. I always try to remember his wise words and do the same thing. I believe that being happy is a decision that we make, and we should make that decision every morning. What better way to raise our children, than in a happy home. Circumstances will lead us to be angry, sad, or unhappy, if we let them; but only if we let them. We all fall into traps with our emotions, and I don’t think you can ever totally overcome that; but I am going to get into the habit of waking up every morning with the thought that I am going to be happy.

May Proverbs 31: 28 & 29 come true for you and happy homemaking!

Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment